- 1 Where do you find discus fish?
- 2 Does PetSmart have discus fish?
- 3 What is the best size to buy discus fish?
- 4 What is the lifespan of a discus fish?
- 5 What is the prettiest freshwater fish?
- 6 Do discus really need daily water changes?
- 7 What is the best food to feed discus fish?
- 8 How many discus fish should be kept together?
- 9 What is the cheapest pet fish to buy?
- 10 Do fishes sleep?
- 11 What is the easiest fish to take care of?
- 12 Can you keep just 2 discus?
- 13 What size tank do I need for 2 discus?
- 14 What is the minimum tank size for discus fish?
Where do you find discus fish?
Discus are found in floodplain lakes and flooded forests of the lowland Amazon River basin and some of its tributaries, including the Rio Negro. These areas experience extreme changes in water level due to seasonal flooding. Discus tend to congregate near fallen trees, known as “galhadas”, along the shore.
Does PetSmart have discus fish?
At PetSmart, we provide everything you need to take care of pet fish, including a selection of live fish for sale in our aquatics section at each store. Some of the largest freshwater fish kept as pets include oscars, discus, plecostomus, and even the common goldfish!
What is the best size to buy discus fish?
What Size Tank Do You Need for Discus? Bigger is always better, so we personally recommend a 75-gallon aquarium or larger. You can do a 55-gallon tank, but then you’re forced to do a lot of water changes. Remember that these fish get big, usually 5 to 7 inches in diameter if you’re doing things right.
What is the lifespan of a discus fish?
In home aquariums, discus live for an average of 10 years, but can live up to 15 years, and can grow up to 8 inches.
What is the prettiest freshwater fish?
It includes a wide range of beautiful species, so there’s something for everyone!
- Peacock Cichlid. We’re starting off our list of colorful freshwater fish with the Peacock Cichlid.
- Jack Dempsey.
- Electric Blue Acara.
- German Blue Ram.
- Endler’s Livebearer.
- Paradise Fish.
Do discus really need daily water changes?
Discus fish don’t require daily water changes unless they are juveniles, and you want to grow them to their maximum potential. However, they still need frequent water changes, and you should certainly do it if you want to raise a healthy, big, and beautiful fish.
What is the best food to feed discus fish?
The 6 Best Food for Discus Fish – Reviews 2021
- Hikari USA Inc. Tropical Discus Bio-Gold – Best Overall.
- Seachem NutriDiet Discus Flakes – Best Value. Check Latest Price.
- Sera 307 Discus Granules – Premium Choice. Check Latest Price.
- Cobalt Discus Hans Flakes.
- Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes.
- Omega One Discus Sinking Pellets.
How many discus fish should be kept together?
Discus should be kept together, and those of different varieties will also school together meaning you can have great color variations. A minimum of 5 is recommended, but more will look better and create a sturdier group.
What is the cheapest pet fish to buy?
- Barbs. The barb group’s made up of a huge range of species, and there are some stunning colours and patterns among them.
- Tetras. Great looking and low maintenance, this freshwater species can make a wonderful addition to your home.
- Molly fish.
- Algae eaters.
Do fishes sleep?
While fish do not sleep in the same way that land mammals sleep, most fish do rest. Research shows that fish may reduce their activity and metabolism while remaining alert to danger. These periods of “suspended animation” may perform the same restorative functions as sleep does in people.
What is the easiest fish to take care of?
Generally speaking, all these species are good-natured, striking, and very easy to care for. Good luck with finding your new pet fish!
- GOLDFISH. Yes, the goldfish is top on the list.
- GUPPIES. Small and brightly colored, guppies are another favorite for beginner aquariums.
- ZEBRA DANIOS.
- BUSHYNOSE PLECOS.
- NEON TETRAS.
Can you keep just 2 discus?
15-gallon tank You can keep 2 discus fish in this size but they won’t live happily or for a long time. However, you can keep 2 baby discus fish when they are not fully grown inside a 15-gallon tank. For healthy growth of discus fry, get the tank water cleaned regularly or install a high-quality filter.
What size tank do I need for 2 discus?
When keeping a pair of discus fish, the two fish should be at least 14 cm in size, because two smaller fish, kept as a pair, will not grow well in size, as “competitive feeding” does not take place.
What is the minimum tank size for discus fish?
While it’s possible for discus to reach a length of 9 inches, this is only if they’re kept for a long time in the best conditions possible. Most discus in the common aquarium max out at 4.5-6 inches. Based on this size range, the minimum tank size would be a 55 gallon tank, but the bigger the better for these guys.